Wednesday, January 7, 2009

New GI Doctor appointment

I was shocked this morning when I got a phone call from the new GI's office while I was dropping off the kids at school. They wanted to get me in today at 3:20!! I was completely caught off guard. It unfortately ment I would have to leave school again but thankfully my teacher was understanding and was willing to sign my timecard again.

But I was very grateful for the appointment! I went in with no expectations. I didn't want to go in there thinking they were going to be able to help me when in all reality they really couldn't do anything else outside of what Dr. Connelly was going to do or hasn't done.

So I get there...get checked in...ohh Joy the scale. Well they have me set at 136..yeah must be the heavy sweaters I have on because I'm so COLD!! (I wore two sweaters today) So that would leave me with at 19 lb lost as of Aug. assuming I was 155 at that time.

Well with every new doctor they always have the 50 question questionare. SO I'm filling that out while the nurse is taking my blood pressure, temp., pulse and whatever history she needed at that point. Yeah blood pressure was 130/70 and who knows what the rest was...I didn't get to see any thing else.

In come Dr. R. Kim. Korean I think...but he's got the crazy long hair that reminds me of a hawiian style too. Anyway...he asks all kinds of questions to how the pain comes about to where it starts and if there is any patterns etc etc. I answer them to the best I can and he throws out some ideas to what he thinks it could be and some possible treatments.

His course of treatment... First he wants to make sure I don't have a wheat allergy. So blood work for there...next he also wants to check the liver enzymes...well since I already had that done yesterday..I don't have to get that repeated...next he wants to do an endoscopic ultrasound to rule out any possible gallstones that might have been left from the surgery that they didn't see. He mentioned an ERCP but would rather skip that for now because the risk of pancreatitis is high( 10-30%) and that would just cause more problems. However if they do find any stones, I may have to go through with that...not certain on that one yet though. The Ultrasound would just confirm it and therefore the next steps would be taken after that.

He also put me on a new medication for the spasams in hopes that we can calm down my muscles and give my body a break. This stress is not helping the other organs in my body and is therefore balancing the rest of my "systems" off too. ie...reproductive.

SO hopefully this means I've found a doctor that is willing to not just "settle" with the IBS conclusion and really come to the conclusions to why I'm losing weight and why I'm always nauseated, and what is really causing this pain. Only time will tell now!!

I pray this is the answer and that soon I'll have relief :)

No comments: