Tuesday, June 2, 2009

How do I deal with this one now???

I have two opportunities sitting at my feet right now. One is for a paid internship with a very respectable company (high-tech company) however the hours are much longer and the intern itself it much longer than expected. I would start the 11th and continue until September sometime. The hours are 40-42 a week roughly and its a further distance to drive. It is near John's work but he works different hours and each week the hours could require me to come in early and stay late.

Marcie said she probably wasn't interested in watching the children through the summer as the hours are obviously a lot longer and we would have to pay her a lot more than we already are.

The other opportunity is closer to home but unpaid and a lot less hours (just have the 90 hrs and that would probably be it!) I would more than likely not have a full time opportunity to fall back on however that remotely doesn't bother me.

I'm getting a LOT of pressure to decide which one I want to choose. Honestly it doesn't help me at all as it just makes my anexity a LOT higher than I should have. I completely appreciate these situations/opportunity that these women have given me and I guess I'm not expressing that in a good way as I'm getting a lot of pressure to decide now when I haven't even interviewed for the one position and hadn't gotten the information about the other place. Ok let me see here, I'm supposed to give an answer at the drop of a hat here? These people know I can't do that right now. I have to still process it and that isn't something I can do right now like other people who aren't dealing with the same things I am.

What if I'm not a good fit for the internship? What if my injury is going to stand in my way (Not that I can see that happening) I have to do a lot of multi-tasking and I'm afraid that things aren't going to go well and I'm going to get overwhelmed and have to quit before the end. That leaves the company out and not able to replace me.

I've been praying for this externship situation to fall the right way in place so when I recieved the phone call this morning about it I honestly thought that was where I should be going but now recieving the details to the position I'm not sure any more. The phone call threw me off too. She called me during the kids' graduation and so part of me couldn't really concentrate on what she was really saying but the opportunity she spoke of sounded good at the time...so yeah put me on the spot and make me make the decision on sending my resume to them and committing to it. My commit levels are rough right now.

I know that alot of the students that come through this school are looking with the end results of having a job. In the beginning I was in the position where I didn't need to have a job. Now things had changed some with John's job and our financial situation got scary. So much so that John told me to get a job after school. When I had to go through this section of the schooling though one of the questions were if I wanted a job to fall on after it was all done. I said that if the opportunity was there and it worked with my family that I'd very much consider it. Apparently the full spectrum here is not clearly written out. :(

I am so overwhelmed right now and frustrated. Thankfully the unpaid extern site is really flexable and seems somewhat understanding. Am I frustrated that I can't make a good decision...absolutely but at the same time I wish I wasn't thrown into the lions' den from the start!!!

No comments: